To: <hibachi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: [hibachi-dev] Hibachi Plans Questions

I have a follow-up question that is of interest to our group.  But
before asking the question, I want to provide a little more context
about what we are planning.

We are working to provide a way to provide better analysis tools for
SPARK.  We feel that we can provide some unique possibilities by
translating SPARK into our Pilar language
(http://www.sireum.org/pilar.html).  Once the application is in that
language, we can perform some unique static analysis that could result
in new information for a developer (sorry to not be specific ... I still
don't quite get it, I am tasked with the GUI things like syntax
highlighting and content assist right now).

So our goals will be to:
1) be able to translate, as efficiently as possible, from the Ada AST
provided (org.eclipse.hibachi.core) into Pilar.
2) be able to add views, editors, and actions to Hibachi to call our
analysis hooks.

With that in mind, we asked about the symbol table since it would
provide a more efficient way to access parts of the model that is being
translated (aka, the Ada application under development).  At this point,
we will see what type of performance we get accessing identifiers in the
current way.  And if need be, we will try to provide alternatives that
could possibly be merged into the mainline.  Hopefully that makes it
more clear why we asked about the symbol table.

Now, a technical question: Is there currently any automated testing that
is done?  The developer that will be working on the translator would
love to automate his testing and didn't know if there was existing
scaffolding to support this or if he would need to create it.

Thanks again for creating this project.  It looks like we will be able
to leverage a lot of the existing great work.

todd

ps
We would be interested in helping if there are existing bugs and feature
requests that could be worked on by us.  Just point us to the right
place and mention any "process" we should follow and we will see what we
can do.