Re: [henshin-dev] Henshin model: Containment edge missing

Hi Claudia,

Henshin targets the transformation of EMF instance models. These instance models are collections of arbitrary EObjects. In the interpreter API, we use EGraphs as a representation of these instance models.

The Graph class in the Henshin model has an entirely different purpose, as it describes *patterns* of instance graphs used for defining rules. Although it is technically possible to encode an EMF instance model into a Henshin Graph, I think that this is not a good solution. If someone wants to describe and persist an instance model, I think it makes more sense to do it directly in EMF and not to encode it into a Henshin Graph.

A second reason for the removal of this containment edge was that I think it is better to separate instance models, transformation models, and metamodels from each other (also keeping them in distinct files). In EMF, also no one would attempt to store an instance model in an *.ecore file, because these two models live in different worlds (type level vs. instance level).

If you need to save instance models, why don't you just store them in separate files (e.g. *.xmi)?

Cheers,
Christian