[henshin-dev] Interpreter API change?

Hi,

while I was working on optimizations for the interpreter, I noticed (again) that its API has room for improvement. For example:

- the InterpreterEngine interface knows about (the concrete class) RuleApplication, - it performs the matching and the application of rules, but not the application of units, - findMatch(), execute(), undo() and redo() are defined in RuleApplication, (UnitApplication) and InterpreterEngine - there are no interfaces for RuleApplication, UnitApplication, Match, ModelChange - TransformationOptions is defined in the matching plug-in (it is required there, but it is strange because the matching plug-in does no transformation)

The API is probably 5 years old. From my side, I think we are at a stage where we should start thinking about redesigning the API. We have this opportunity only as long we are an incubation project. Once we become a real project, there is no chance anymore to change the API again. Therefore, my suggestion is to do it now.

Cheers,
Christian

Back to the top