Re: Re: [gyrex-dev] Gyrex Setup worked

Hi Christoph,

Am 03.02.2010 07:47, schrieb Christoph Rueger:
>> 1. Admin wizard has worked, and I could go through it. Where does it

> actually store the config information on the file system? I had a quick

> look at org.eclipse.gyrex.configuration.impl but didn't find it.

It's stored in the workspace location under

".metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.gyrex.preferences.prefs"

where all the other Eclipse preferences are stored.

Is this actually customizable? What is this location in a server environment with multiple machines and e.g. a central file-server or database.

> 2. is there a sample app or something to find out where the starting

> point is to create a Application based on gyrex?

Unfortunately, that's the point where we fail currently. We do have some

nice examples (eg., BugSearch) but they come with a lot of dependencies

(

eg., Lucene, Solr, etc.). Are you interested in building and

contributing a simple one with my help?

Yes, I would definitly try to build a simple sample application. I would prefer something really simple like a Weblog with "Posts" and "Comments". To avoid unnecessary dependencies we could try to avoid a Database and just write to the current user session or something. Just a simple persistence interface but let the HTTP Session be the DB. that way we avoid lots of heavy frameworks like Hibernate etc. I think the goal should be to show people where the important hooks are to build their own application. This sample app should answer the following questions:

* What is the first thing I need to do to build an own app from scratch based on gyrex?
* If I have a servlet XYZ, where do I configure (or what glue code do I need to write) it so that I can call it via http://localhost/myapp/myservlet
* My App wants to use a Logger, what code do I need to write to use Gyrex Logger
* my app wants to store some properties (configuration data) somewhere. Where is the best place to do this

In the end writing a new app on gyrex should be as easy as Ruby on Rails.

That's it for the beginning :)

Thanks
Christoph

 3. localhost:80 works but I get a funny 404. That's expected, right? Any

> other URLs I can already call on localhost:80 ?

No, it's a naked server. ;) -Gunnar -- Gunnar Wagenknecht gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://wagenknecht.org/

Back to the top