RE: [gyrex-dev] Re: non-UI launcher for Equinox-based server

Hi Gunnar,

> I see two options. There is a native JVM launcher project at Apache. I
> was wondering if we could re-use this one. It works well for quite a
few
> Java based servers.

For Windows, procrun looks promising (
http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html ), although it doesn't
appear to support the "watchdog" features that are nice-to-haves for a
service adapter.

For Unix-like systems, it might actually be better to dispense with an
executable wrapper altogether.  The start, stop, calculate locations,
"give me a status", etc. functions could be done with small Java
programs and shell scripts.

> ...starting as super user ("root"), open ports below 1024, dropping
> root privileges and launch the JVM which takes over the socket handle.

This does sound like a nice feature.

Regards,

Michael