Re: [gef3d-dev] LWJGL lib...

Hi Miles,

On 26.05.10 02:43, Miles Parker wrote:
I'm trying to remember what the deal is with LWJGL libraries WRT to IP. They claim on the website that it's BSD, but does it contain something that isn't?

Short answer: Probably yes.
Longer answer:

   * It contains SGI header files (well, almost every OpenGL related
     software will contain SGI header files), these files are published
     under the SGI free license. Fortunately, the latest version of
     this license is compatible to EPL, although it is not BSD.
     Actually, this is true for JOGL as well. However, it is possible
     to replace these files with Mesa versions, which is licensed under
     the MIT license (but frankly, I'm not sure what's inside Mesa...)
   * The LWJGL project has not been concerned with provenance of the
     contributions. That is, authors contributing to LWJGL have not
     explicitly confirmed their ownership of the submissions. Since it
     is impossible to get a list of all authors and what they have
     contributed, it is impossible to get these confirmations a
     posteriori. So, there might be some code which is not BSD, but we
     will probably never know...

So, the deal with respect to IP is as follows: LWJGL has not been approved for use within Eclipse due to unsettled code provenance.

Cheers

Jens

Back to the top