Re: [gef3d-dev] GEF3D todo list 2010-01

On 20.01.2010, at 03:05, Madhu Samuel wrote:
One important point from my side is about finding a real time usecase for gef3d. I understand that we have a few examples created with gef3d, but we need a more cutting edge use case to make companies out there to think that "hmm, i should adopt gef3d".

I agree with that, however this is out of focus for the GEF3D project. But we certainly should provide cool applications based on GEF3D, or at least create a page (on the GEF3D project website) with links to such applications. The examples coming with GEF3D are rather simple ones, and they are in deed only used for demonstrating how to 3D-fy existing editors. IMHO, Kristian's master thesis provides a great example, he published a post explaining his application just a minute ago (see http://dev.eclipse.org/blogs/gef3d/2010/01/20/a-graphical-editor-for-the-gmf-mapping-model/ ). I think this could be (at least the first step) to a real GEF3D killer app. Another cool application would be a GEF3D based tool for the EMF compare plugin. Instead of comparing two EMF models using the tree-based view, we could use a 3D view similar to Apple's coverflow or time machine. I already had a student implementing that, but unfortunately the canceled his work. Miles 3D visualization is a completely different application, and I really like that one. It demonstrates how to use GEF3D in order to "pimp" existing 2D visualization strategies. Yes, we should at least add a special page to the project website.

After march I will also write a few tutorials, after all people follow technologies which are easier to understand. Guys, I am also working on a portal http://eclipsebible.com . Its not yet in a state to announce it publicly, but I would like to hear a few comments about it.

The first GEF3D tutorial you helped translating is now online available, and we have to translate the 2nd and 3rd part as soon as possible. I think these three parts provide a good tutorial and user manual for GEF3D. (Maybe you'd like to add my latest modelling tutorial to your site as well ;-) ).

Coming back to the topic, I will take up any of the development tasks based on priority.

OK.

Cheers

Jens

Back to the top