Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [gef-dev] GEF feature requests

Someone recently contacted me with a similar idea.  The idea was to create Content Providers like JFace has for trees/tables, but instead for a specific graphical type of content such as a class diagram.  Maybe this person is on the mailing list and will detail his group's intentions.

This is probably a good idea and a natural area for GEF to extend into.  But, as far as fixed content types/UIs, we've had some experience with this in the Palette.  The palette is a graphical viewer with a predefined structure and appearance.  But currently you can not really extend the palette using public API.  So maybe the palette can eventually serve as a proof of concept for this idea.

I think what we need are more detailed proposals.  For example, the actual API of ClassDiagramContentProvider and its dependencies, and how the client would customize things like which figure is used to render the class, how commands are created, etc.  In some ways, having a single provider object goes agains the way GEF is set up.  You'll end up with one big class which needs to know everything about the application.  Instead, a more appropriate approach might be to keep the editparts more invovled.  Perhaps create some new EditPart implementations which are more tightly coupled with a specific UI element like "class" or "activity".

Thanks for the suggestion and details design documents are definitely welcome,
Randy Hudson

"Cameron Bateman" <cbateman@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: gef-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/28/2004 12:19 PM