Re: [gef-dev] Rulers update

Thanks for your feedback and patches for this 3.0 work.  Pratik will review your comments and code.

-Randy

"Eugene Ostroukhov" <eostroukhov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gef-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/14/2004 04:18 AM
Please respond to gef-dev

        To:        <gef-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        [gef-dev] Rulers update

Hi all!
Our application now has following  looks:

[IMAGE]

Following changes were made:
1. SnapToGuides - now it uses method  getEditorGuidePositions - this allows for the rulers that are offset relative to  the editor origin (i.e., in our case - the top ruler is centered in editor), so  the ruler provider provides conversation between ruler coordinates and the  editor coordinates. Default implementation implies that these coordinates are  same.
2. DragGuidePolicy, RulerDragTracker,  GuideEditPart,  now works with the IRulerEditPart interface - this allows  to provide your own from the ground implementation of the ruler edit parts  (vertical compound rulers, etc.)
3. RulerEditPart was splited into the public  IRulerEditPart interface and GEF-private default implementation  (RulerEditPartImpl)
4. RulerFigure was changed in following  ways:
    1. IOrientableFigure interface -  as layouts, itc. want to know the ruler orientation and implementing the  interface perfectly enables developer to provide his own figures that look  totally different (compound vertical ruler in our project.
    2. AbstractRulerFigure - it's  base class that allows drawing marks, etc. - makes it easy to create custom  ruler figures (in our project all rulers are custom, i.e. they don't have border  on their own)
    3. RulerFigureImpl - default  ruler figure same in functionality as original RulerFigure
5. RulerComposite now allows to provide another  EditPartFactory - so the new rulers are plugged here.

Another rework was done to change to the Unit class  - it was needed as our project has need for the custom units that were  incompatible with the old GEF units.
Changes in other classes were only connected to the  class hierarchies refactorings. In the logic sample diff file you can see the  amount of the changes that were needed to perform to change to new  rulers.

Sorry, if the formatting/comments is not fully  correct - I've checked the eclipse.org but was unable to see the strict enough  recomendations. I do hope that these changes will be merged to the GEF CVS -  because I need to release my code to our project.
I will provide support/enhancments/bugfixes to this  ruler implementation (I mean, all GEF Bugzilla requests that will be  ruler-related).

Best regards,
Eugene

#### logic-patch has been removed from this note on April 14, 2004 by Randy Hudson
#### GEF-patch has been removed from this note on April 14, 2004 by Randy Hudson

Back to the top