[gef-dev] Requirements for rulers in graphical editors

Some initial requirements are listed below.  I have posted them on the newsgroup as well.  Please post any functionality requests, comments, etc. on the newsgroup.

We are going to start working on a new feature: allowing rulers to be added
to graphical editors.  Some of the basic requirements that we have realized
are listed below.  This is a call to the community to request any other
functionality that they may desire.

1) Clients should be able to add any number of rulers along any of the edges
   of a graphical editor. (Priority: High)
        - Rulers should be able to grow dynamically as needed (i.e., the case
          of a change in the width of a vertical ruler, or the height of a
          horizontal ruler, should be handled properly).
        - Rulers must work properly with zoom.

2) A few default rulers should be provided (rulers displaying grid spaces,
   and possibly inches/centimeters, etc.). (Priority: Medium)

3) Clients should be able to add markers to rulers. (Priority: High)
        - Markers should be able to associate themselves with figures in the
          editor.
        - Markers should be able to contribute feedback/figures to the editor

4) Certain default markers should be provided.  E.g., TODOs, guides for
   aligning figures, etc. (Priority: Medium)

5) End-users should be able to customize the rulers. (Priority: High)
        - Show/hide rulers (if the client allows it)
        - Add markers (again, if the ruler/client allows it)

6) Clients should be able to contribute actions/buttons for the dead space
   between rulers, if there is any.  (Priority: Low)
   NOTE: If there are rulers to the north and west of an editor, dead space
   would be the empty space in the north-west corner.

Pratik Shah
Graphical Editing Framework (GEF)

Back to the top