AW: [geclipse-dev] File Transfer Service / 3rd Party Transfers

Hi Mateusz,

Some additional remarks to those of Ariel...

> When gEclipse file system will be asked to perform a file transfer,
first
> it will look if there is any plugin that registered this transfer
> configuration (e.g. SRM->SRM).

What about 3rd party transfers across different EFS implementation, e.g.
GSIFTP->SRM, which should be possible since GSIFTP is the transport
layer for SRM as far as I know, right?! The problem here is that
eu.geclipse.efs.gsiftp may then need knowledge of eu.geclipse.efs.srm.
In that case that would introduce a cyclic dependency since efs.srm
already depends on efs.gsiftp, right? Even if this specific example may
not be valid this is definitely a use case that may cause problems. So
please think about it before starting with any mature implementation.

> Before transfer begins, some informations about it will be stored in
> persistent Eclipse repository. When g-Eclipse will be restarted (or
after
> crash), the 3rd party transfer mechanism will resume all the transfers
> which didn't finish in the previous session. It will be an EFS
plugin's
> duty to check if the transfer was successful or not.

What about server/service-driven 3rd party transfers? Not sure if this
applies to any of our current implementations but definitely it may be
the case that a middleware provides a service for such transfers. In
that case g-Eclipse only initiates the transfer from the client side but
the transfer itself is made on the server side and even continues when
g-Eclipse is shut-down. Also something you should keep in mind here.

Concerning the technical side I am curious how this will be implemented
on the MW-independent side. I guess this has to be covered by our UI's
transfer operation? Or will you provide a completely new mechanism here?
Obviously the transfers should be implemented in the
EFS-implementation's copy/move-methods. Are these already used by our
transfer operation? I do not know the current implementation but the
initial implementation made use of the IResource methods for copying
files. So this may also be a subject of change then.

Cheers, Mathias

Back to the top