AW: [geclipse-dev] Remote-to-remote transfers with SRM

Dear all

what we need is not a "black-white" decision. What we need is a roadmap to a "third party" transfer functionality. By taking all obstacles on the road into account. For me as a "non expert", I don't know what is the right decision know. But here are my few cents:

1. Our framework must offer functionality for "data replication" and "data. This high level service must be offered to the end user. The best would be to support a replica catalog service.

2. The implementation of g-Eclipse must be reliable. That has always high priority.

3. 3rd party transfer is a "must-to-have". You can not pipe TB of data through your laptop.   Giving it a low priority it not the right answer now.

So my answer would be in terms of priority rating:

-- reliable, SRM-based transfer for local-remote --> +5

-- implementing replica management features --> + 4

-- implementing 3rd party transfers --> +3

I don't know all the details of the file system. But dependencies of the system have to been taken into account. (Does LFC use SRM-3rd party for "replica transfer"? Or is it pure gridftp? Why is SRM 3rd party not supported by SRM-DPM? Why is it for SRM-dCache?

Would be nice if Mateusz can clarify a few of my questions? Or even better, to come up with a roadmap for "Reclipa management" support in g-eclipse!!

Harald