From: "Thomas Watson" <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: "equinox-dev" <equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [equinox-dev] Eclipse Equinox, OSGi specifications and plugin.xml
Date: Wed, Sep 29, 2021 09:01

That is a bit of a dramatic statement that can open a can of worms.  The extension registry and the Eclipse platform model with its many extension points does what it does very well.  If you are developing bundles that plugin to the Eclipse platform do not "feel bad" about using the right technology.  Many times that will be writing an extension and defining a plugin.xml.  If you are not plugging into the Eclipse platform then use the technology that suits your needs.  I agree the OSGi service registry and actually the use of Declarative Services is a very good mechanism that has many advantages.

Tom