Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] p2 / browser integration

I agree that forcing people to browse via Elcipse is unfortunate.  It will address some of the usecases but not all.

As for XPI, I'm not sure we need to define some new packaging.  We have the p2 stuff so all we really need to do is give p2 enough data that is knows what it is to install.  In theory this could be as simple as the ID and version of an IU.  p2 does the rest based on the current settings etc of the agent.  XPI seemed like overkill in our situation.

Jeff

Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx>

10/23/2007 11:10 AM

Please respond to
Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx>; Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] p2 / browser integration

Hi,

* Chris Aniszczyk <zx@xxxxxxxxxx> [2007-10-23 10:36]:
> If you use the Eclipse browser to browse download sites or something
> like EPIC

While I completely agree that we need some easy method of installing and
that it would be ideal to do so from a web browser, wouldn't this
solution require one to basically do all of their browsing from within
Eclipse?

As hard as it will be, I think native handlers are the way to go here.
I'd love to be proven wrong, though, because I know how difficult it
will be -- especially with multiple running Eclipse instances.

Andrew