Re: [equinox-dev] EventAdmin ServiceReference is always null?

Also note that your coding will require that the event admin bundle be
started before your bundle. If the reverse is true, you will still get a
null. You should not write your code to be sensitive to start orderings
between bundles and you should also pay attention to service dynamics:
that is the event admin service could be unregistered if the event admin
bundle is stopped or updated.

Please consider using the ServiceTracker class or Declarative Services to
obtain and manage your dependencies on services. These technique handle
the dynamics of services and can avoid dependencies on bundle start
ordering.

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx
Office: +1 407 849 9117 Mobile: +1 386 848 3788

"Cameron Ross" <cross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Please respond to

<equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[equinox-dev] EventAdmin ServiceReference is always null?

Hello,

I am unable to obtain a valid ServiceReference for the EventAdmin service
shipped with 3.2RC3.  The start method in my Activator class looks like
this:

public void start(BundleContext context) throws Exception {
    ServiceReference serviceRef =
context.getServiceReference(EventAdmin.class.getName());
    // serviceRef is always null!
}

The following items are selected in both the Eclipse
"Window->Preferences->Plug-in Development->Target Platform->Plug-ins" and
"Run->Run...->Plug-ins->Target Platform" areas:
  - org.eclipse.equinox.log(1.0.0.v20060206)
  - org.eclipse.osgi(3.2.0.v20060505)
  - org.eclipse.osgi.services(3.1.100.20060426)

My manifest contains the following header and everything compiles nicely:
    Import-Package: org.osgi.framework, org.osgi.service.event,
org.osgi.util.tracker

I'm running Eclipse 3.2-RC3 (Version 3.2.0, Build ID I20060505-1306) with
Sun's JRE 1.5.0_06 on Windows XP Professional SP2.

Note that I am able to get a ServiceReference to the LogService.  Any help
is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron Ross.