Thanks!

Martin Lowe

Software Developer | Eclipse Foundation

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 9:26 AM Denis Roy <denis.roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2021-05-28 2:09 a.m., Liviu Ionescu wrote:

> On 28 May 2021, at 03:04, Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> ... The reason I ask is that a few times Liviu who is quite quick to start testing after I announce has reported problems.
> Guilty as charged ;-)
>
> Jonah, I suggest you update your procedures and make the announcement after you have the ack that the mirrors have been already populated.
>
> Otherwise we'll constantly run into these kind of problems; 500 Mb/s might be a 25% increase over 400 Mb/s, but it is still quite low for an organisation the size and reach of Eclipse, at least compared to the 1 Gb/s fibre optic connections which are common for households in my part of the world.

It's actually not. You use your 1Gb fiber at Eclipse for only a few
seconds here and there. 95% and more of large downloads are handled by
mirrors for free -- the rest is small transit for us (lots of it, mind you).

And yes, we must readjust from time to time. The alternative is to pay
unnecessarily (we have size and reach, but we are a not-for-profit
foundation, not a multi-zillion corporation). Our 1Gb colo is dedicated,
redundant and highly available. The 1Gb consumer fiber is single-point
and shared.

Denis