Re: [epp-dev] Contribute the embedcdt projects to EPP

> On 26 Sep 2020, at 20:01, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 6:56 PM Liviu Ionescu <ilg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Eclipse Embedded CDT project is the former GNU MCU Eclipse, which provides support for bare-metal Arm & RISC-V development (managed build and debug).
>
> Is this support "intrustive" in UI? Ie if I'm doing plain C++ development for my local machine and have Arm & RISC-V tools installed, does it add "noise" or disturbance to my main workflows, or is it mostly invisible unless I need it?

It is adding a lot of templates and preferences/properties pages.

And it is planned to add even more templates, and new specific build tools, some of little use for native C/C++ development.

> Adding EPP packages has a non negligible cost on maintenance, on built time,

The new packages are not yet referred in the top configuration, so the proposed patch does not add any additional build time to the existing SimRel builds.

> and more importantly on end-users who then have more options of which package to use (so it's increasing complexity and uncertainty for them).

Currently I keep a fork of the EPP repo with these three packages, plus several other tweaks, and I manually make releases that follow the SimRel.

https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/iot.embed-cdt/downloads

All previous Eclipse packages (all based on CDT plus the GNU MCU/ARM plug-ins) are available from GitHub:

https://github.com/eclipse-embed-cdt/org.eclipse.epp.packages/releases

And the project has its own web site:

https://eclipse-embed-cdt.github.io

Not to mention it has its own customisations on various plug-ins.

> So adding a new package needs to come with good reasons to balance the churn ;)

We already had a similar discussion when GNU MCU/ARM Eclipse was invited to join the EF, and we weighted two options, to join CDT or to create a new project.

For several reasons, the decision was to create a new EF project, and implicitly to continue to provide a separate EPP package, initially via private releases, later, when ready, via SimRel.

Regards,

Liviu

Back to the top