Re: [epp-dev] Important structural change in Eclipse Neon

On 24 February 2016 at 09:20, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/23/2016 07:47 PM, Markus Knauer wrote:

BUT it won't work as expected when updating from the old (Mars) structure to the new structure (Neon). If you look at the attached screenshot you will see the result of the CPP Mars.1 package *after* an upgrade to the new Neon structure. If you look close enough you will find out that the product (epp.package.cpp) is there with its direct children, the three features mentioned above. But if you compare this to a new pristine Neon build with the new structure, you will find out that *all* other root features have disappeared and are not there any more.One of those missing features after a Mars.1 to Neon upgrade would be org.eclipse.cdt... that's not something that we should propose to our users. Well, unless a reader of this mail has a good idea how to circumvent this.
Doesn't the EPP CPP feature "require/import" the org.eclipse.cdt feature (without enforcing a specific version)? If not, could that be a solution ?

If we take the CPP package as an example... up to Mars we pulled in the org.eclipse.cdt feature with like this:

<feature id="org.eclipse.epp.package.cpp.feature"...>
   <requires>
      <import feature="org.eclipse.cdt"/>

Now we are using after the restructuring in Neon the package product definition and install it to the root:

<product ... id="org.eclipse.epp.package.cpp.product"...>
   <features>
      <feature id="org.eclipse.cdt" installMode="root"/>

We certainly could move the org.eclipse.cdt feature back to its old level below the EPP feature, but then we had the same problems with independent updates again.

I read a bit though old bugs and found this bug 361722 [1] for Tycho; it's a good read and for our change here I'd suggest to start with comment 40.

Looking forward to many interesting discussions about this topic at EclipseCon!

Regards,
Markus

Back to the top