Re: [epp-dev] Exceptions when starting Neon M4 packages

Hi,

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Markus Knauer
> <mknauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mknauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
> wrote:
>> If I understood correctly Andreas wanted to commit something to
>> AERI itself; its source code is part of the EPP project and
>> therefore any EPP committer could review a patch in Gerrit.
>> Independent from what we decide, I would say that it would be
>> beneficial to have a patch available in Gerrit.
>>
>> The problem that I see is that this change would need a new
>> contribution to the Simultaneous Release, a rebuild of all
>> packages, and finally retesting the packages and waiting for the
>> download mirrors to get the new package version. That's nothing
>> that could be done before early next week, and I fear that many
>> people will be

You understood correctly.

There is now a workaround (make o.e.jdt.annotations non-optional) in the
EPP Gerrit [1]. Any EPP committer (which I am not) can submit this one
and promote a new "milestones" build [2] (well ...apparently, even
people not *signed in* can promote; Markus, can you change the Approvers
of the "milestones" and "stable" promotion jobs?).

But yes, this would require a rebuild of the simrel repo, then a rebuild
of the packages, etc.

Kaloyan Raev wrote:
> I thought Andreas proposed an alternative workaround where those EPP
> packages, that does not have JDT, to include the
> org.eclipse.jdt.annotation bundles. This would require just a respin
> of the EPP packages only and not of the Simultaneous Release
> repository.

No, I didn't, but this would be a nice hack, that avoids rebuilding the
simrel repo. It would still require re-testing the packages affected by
this issue, but probably not the others (unless you are really paranoid).

> The error is in a dialog popup. The user can dismiss it, but it will
> appear on every start of the IDE. As I've said, it's not a blocker
> for a Milestone release, but still pretty annoying.
>
> If a quick respin of the EPP packages is not possible then we can
> live with it until the next milestone.

Agreed. I wouldn't want to do a whole simre-repo-rebuild cycle. But
maybe we can fix it just with a few lines on a .product or feature.xml.
I'll try this locally.

Opinions?

Andreas

[1] <https://git.eclipse.org/r/63010>