Re: [epp-dev] Requiring Java 7 for specific EPP packages

Yep, I think something like this (hint on the web page) could be done - in that case we need to ask webmasters to do it, but since we are at it... If we decide to go this path

- we should set the minimum JRE in the affected packages to Java 7 to prevent users with a lower JRE version from running these packages (and give them a helpful warning that they need to upgrade instead of silently disabling some of he bundles); currently we require 1.6 in all packages

- we should discuss if an additional "warning" or information on the web page is the right message to our users;

- and finally, we should consider requiring Java 7 in all packages. I know there's always the old discussion why we should require a higher version in the packages if we are 'quite sure' that it could be run on a lower version of Java, but according to the Oracle roadmap [1] there won't be updates when we release Luna. What do others think? Should we require Java 7 in all packages as a minimum Java version?

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Thanks,
Markus