Re: [epp-dev] Why does Java EE package include PDE ?

On 10/07/2013 10:47 PM, Chuck Bridgham wrote:
I know we do have dependencies on PDE from Data Tools, and OSGI development tools,
Ok,
The only bundle in datatools depending on PDE is org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.template.ui which depends on pde.ui. I'll check whether this is an absolutely necessary dependency, as it introduce a lot of UI elements not related to the general datatools use-case.
Also, does OSGi development tools help in this JEE package? I tend to think that Java EE/Web/Mobile developers use the solutions provided by framework, and AFAIK, none of the major ones relies on OSGi. So it seems to me that OSGi Tools are not very relevant there.

I added a few cents to further discussion, but they are useless until the two above points are not cleared.
but I would also be careful before consulting the community / tools adopters that use this package as a starting point.
Makes sense.
Just beware of plugins developers who give their opinion on a package that is not intended to them, and who want PDE in Kepler package just to save them a few minutes every 4 monthes ;)
For JBoss Tools and JBoss Developer Studio in Eclipse, we recommend using the Java EE package as a starting point, and it is certain that our users are more annoyed/disturbed by these PDE UI entries they won't use.

I agree with you the majority of users won't be developing plugins, but PDE is a must for the remaining group.

They/we already have a RCP/RAP package for this use-case.

It may be time to do some analysis of size, and popularity of the many features that make up this package.
Not only popularity, we could try to evaluate   added_value_of_feature_X / cost_of_feature_X_in_UI , where added_value_of_feature_X is the productivity benefit of feature X, and cost_of_feature_X_in_UI is the additional cost of introdcing such a tool in daily usage (useless UI elements, decrease of overall performances, loss of stability...).
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top