Re: [epp-dev] A new EPP SOA package

> Question: Is there anyone out there who is against (1)? Any objections
from other package maintainers or team members?

I'm a little against '1'. I don't want my voice to make the decision, but
I'll at least give a dissenting point of view and see if anyone else
agrees (or disagrees).

My largest concern is that there's no time for any use or feedback from
the community or adopters. Part of the purpose of the simultaneous release
(and packages, in my view) is not the end-result, but the build-up to that
end-result. Seems like the plan for option '1' focus on only the
end-result ... producing a package ... with out demonstrating the steady
predictability of milestones and release candidates.

A smaller concern is that I think 'Swordfish' is part of the package, and
they are not having their Release Review until the very last minute (Sept
14th or so?)
So, there is some risk that it won't make it, and this won't be known
until the very last minute.

In fact, looking at the list of features, it seems like exactly the same
thing as the EPP 'Java Package' (that is, the one that has mylin, and xml
in it) except for the addition of
- org.eclipse.wst.ws_ui.feature
- org.eclipse.swordfish.tooling.feature

So ... doesn't seem like anything that should be hard for users to install
or construct.

On the flip side, I see how the "working group" wants the publicity, etc.,
but I just don't like the packages being a "marking tool" without the
normal path of users and adopters trying it out for a few months first.
(Remember, normally, someone must be "in the build" for Simultaneous
Release by M4 or M5, which translates into nearly 6 months of community
use before release).

Would "Galileo SR2" be an option? That'd at least give some time to
publish some versions before it was officially released.

But, like I said, mine is just one view and I don't feel so strongly about
it that I'd be insulted if you or others didn't agree. I definitely don't
want to be 'negative' to new things, I just felt it important to voice the
counter point of view. I'm fine to go with your decision (as EPP lead)
either way, without further discussion or justification.

Good luck!

Back to the top