Re: [epp-dev] Role, importance, or use of pre-req feature versions?

Pascal Rapicault wrote:

> I believe our main audience, by the way, at least for JEE IDE, is not the
> cowboy user, but more the casual, beginning user. I would not mind
> "protecting them from themselves" if possible,
This is what I thought too. Leaving the ability for people to run untested set of stuffs is not, IMO, the best way to promote our hard work.

In that case we must disable everything that will result in "untested set of stuffs". In addition to disabling updates of existing things, we must also disable new installs. If we want to protect the casual user of all risks involved, we should go all the way.

A much better way to provide the same protection IMO, is to make it possible to roll back to a previous configuration... But wait, we already have that. ;-)

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the user is in no way forced to update or extend the platform. There is a conscious choice involved.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Back to the top