Re: [epp-dev] Role, importance, or use of pre-req feature versions?

> Let me see if I am understanding; if we specify, in our feature.xml,
>
>    <requires>
>       <import feature="org.eclipse.cvs" version="1.1.0" match="compatible"
> />
>
> Then "cowboy" users would not be able to update to org.eclipse.cvs version
> 1.2? (even if the plugin level constraints were still satisfied).

Cowboys users *would be able to* update to a new version of CVS (granted that all the other dependencies are met).

> I believe our main audience, by the way, at least for JEE IDE, is not the
> cowboy user, but more the casual, beginning user. I would not mind
> "protecting them from themselves" if possible,

This is what I thought too. Leaving the ability for people to run untested set of stuffs is not, IMO, the best way to promote our hard work.

> but to not allow any new features sounds a little too protective.
Users will still be allowed to install new features from any repo (granted all the dependencies of the software to install are satisfiable). The only thing that will not be authorized is replacing the features that are strictly included in the Package.

Even though I think it would be good to come to a common "rule" for all the EPP packages, I don't know if this will be possible. For me, the point of the discussion is to have every package maintainer think about the implication of the way they are building their package, and it may be be fine for each package maintainer to decide for themselves what it is they want to do.