[epp-dev] Information for EPP Package Maintainers to Build Galileo Packages

Dear Project Maintainers,

We are getting ready to build the EPP packages that will be displayed on the eclipse.org download page.   Once again this year, we will to rely upon the package maintainers to define and test the packages.  Below are some steps that we want each package maintainer to do for their Galileo package.   Our short term goal is to make the M7 packages available on a download site by May 11.

1. All package maintainers need to reconfirm that they want their package to be created for Galileo and they will be responsible for the testing.  Please respond to this mailing list to confirm your interest in having your package built for Galileo.  The following are the current package maintainers:

  • Java EE  - David Williams
  • Java IDE – Mik Kersten
  • C/C++ IDE – Doug Schaefer
  • Modeling – Richard Gronback  (although I think Peter Friese is going to help with this one)
  • RCP -  Markus Knauer
  • Reporting - Xiaoying Gu

New Packages:

·         Pulsar – Diego Sandin

·         PHP – Roy Ganor

2. We are using p2 to build the Galileo EPP packages.   Therefore, we have converted the existing package configuration file into a .product file and a .package configuration file.   These files have been added to the EPP cvs branch (dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/technology - org.eclipse.epp/packages/).   Each package maintainer should review their respective .product file and .package configuration file.  Any changes should be submitted via a patch in bugzilla.

3. Each package can be configured by a feature that defines the content and dependencies of the package, and by a branding plug-in where a package can define its own default perspective in the plugin_customization.ini among other things. The plugin contains also the old EPP configuration file ('eclipse_XYZ_350.xml) that is used for the meta-data that creates the webpages. There are initial features and plugins for every existing package in the EPP CVS (see above); changes should be submitted by the package maintainers via a patch in Bugzilla.

4. We plan to start building the packages on a regular basis starting next week.   Markus will be sending out notices to the EPP mailing list once a build is complete.  Package maintainers are requested to download their package and complete the testing.  Once the testing is complete please send an e-mail to the EPP mailing list indicating if it is ready to be posted on the download page.

 Ian

Ian Skerrett

Director of Marketing

Eclipse Foundation