Re: [epp-dev] Question about package updates

> So let's say I download JEE. And I want to update it as a whole, not
> as individual projects.

> Is there a concept of a "package" update site as opposed to the
> individual project or release update sites?

The answer, I think, depends a little bit on exactly why you are asking ...

It is best to think of the Ganymede site as "a discovery site" ... a place to get new things and all the pre-reqs it requires. Not a place to get updates from.

While it is true there will eventually be maintenance updates put on the Ganymede update site, those maintenance updates only come from the projects update sites ... in other words, nothing new, and nothing not already available via updates from elsewhere. The only reason we put maintenance updates there at all is that in case someone installs something "fresh" from there, after the coordinated maintenance then they get all the fixes during the first install, instead of having to install once, and then get updates to things already installed.

If you are really asking if you can use the Ganymede update site as an update site for some product or unrelated project instead of using an individual project site, then the answer is "no". That would be ill advised for several reasons: most important, if there was an important bug fix that a project makes off cycle, then users can only get that from the projects update site ... they can not get it from Ganymede until the coordinated release. Next important, Ganymede is pretty big, so might have performance implications (during update browsing/search).

Another sort-of complication (in the sense of improved feature :) is that P2, as I understand it, doesn't care where it gets updates from ... that is, to pick an example that would never happen, if it "sees" there is an update to JDT on the WTP site ... then it will get it (it doesn't really care where it came from originally). In otherwords, it is hard to _limit_ updates to only come from the Ganymede site, just in case that's related to why you were asking. [And, I admit ... not sure about how P2 works ... I'm sure we'll be learning].

So .. hope that helps ... if this doesn't get at the heart of your question, perhaps you could ask again explaining what you are trying to accomplish.