[epp-dev] Re: [eclipse.org-committers] Eclipse project announcement

Markus, Jochen, Jeff & Mitch,

Congratulations on stepping forward to create a new work area focusing on enhancing the configuration, download and installation experience for Eclipse technology users.

As I read this email, I can imagine a new widget available on all of the Eclipse project pages that works like a shopping cart ("Add TPTP Profiling to cart").  When you are done choosing interesting software, you can then click a Finish button in the cart summary which would allow downloading the software from Eclipse.org directly or hand-off to any participating ecosystem partner for further configuration and download.  Whatever the ultimate solution, I'm excited about us having a lightweight, scalable add-on to the current Eclipse portal which provides great value to end users of Eclipse technology and flows within the existing site's usage patterns.

Stepping back, I see two areas of work potentially described -- one is the creation of an exemplary implementation and extensible platform created to solve the generic provisioning problem of choosing from lots of Eclipse software accessible from the web in general.  This first bit of work is analogous to a multi-site "shopping cart" for Eclipse software.  Secondly, I see a area which is the selection of a solution that helps address the specific problems of Eclipse.org which might have a different objective and may or may not use the same solution.  While these areas are related, I see them as distinct problems for which multiple solutions are possible.

Given the visibility and importance of changes to Eclipse.org, I would like to propose we separate out the Eclipse.org technology solution and create a new technology project that will focus on delivering a near term solution for the current download complexities at Eclipse.  As could be inferred from the EPP component proposal, the solution would likely leverage a p2-based installer with web integration into the existing Eclipse portal and provide a way for users to more easily access software whether by using a direct downloaded installer from Eclipse.org or choosing to switch over to a partner site as proposed for the new EPP component.

We are also excited about becoming actively involved to help with this effort.

Congrats!
Tim