[epp-dev] Re: <igor.vinnykov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Title: Bjorn Freeman
Igor,
Unfortunately, your logic below is not supported by the Eclipse Foundation's outside council. Currently, until we find some solution and you are informed of said solution by Janet (Eclipse Legal), neither of your proposed solutions below is allowed.
Example 1.
Create distribution, which include selected projects, which are under
Eclipse umbrella, but just mention that some content doesn't follow EPL
license and have own licenses.

Example 2.
Create distribution split on two parts - EPL part and non-EPL part. It can
be technically implemented by different ways - two separate distributions;
one required distribution, which then automatically installs optional
non-EPL parts, etc.
But there no limitations for the most of
community, which just use the distribution for development. ... We
distribute source code for Subversive and for Eclipse, so I don't see a
blocker there to create a distribution, which includes both.

We, the Eclipse Foundation, do see a blocker here (the GPL) and thus neither of these potential solutions is allowed. Additionally, please be aware that the purposes of the Eclipse Foundation are to create extensible frameworks and exemplary tools and thus saying "there might be barriers to commercial adoption but not for the rest of the community" contravenes the purposes of the Foundation. You will understand that we cannot distribute distros that do not conform to the purposes of the Foundation as laid down by the Bylaws.

Anyway, we (Janet, Sharon, Mike, and I) are working on finding a solution to allow Eclipse to distribute Subversive and thus for EPP to package Subversive. Until we find a solution, however, I'm sorry but you cannot distro a unified Subversive or include the unified Subversive in any other Eclipse distro.

--
Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Director, Open Source Process

voice:  971-327-7323 (pacific time)