Re: [epp-dev] Proposal for EPP schedule

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 20:26, Ian Skerrett wrote:
> I'd like to suggest that the EPP project focuses on producing the four
> packages between now and Europa but without the installer component.   We
> have only three weeks left, so time is very very short, and we need to
> focus on producing high quality, well tested packages.   I would love to
> have the installer included but I just can't see that we have enough time
> to guarantee sufficient testing.
>

> The main reason for my suggestion is that we want to use the output from
> EPP for a new download page.   The eclipse download page is the more
> popular page on our site, so everything on that page must be perfect.
> Hence my suggestion that we focus on getting the right testing done on the
> existing packages that were released yesterday.

This is definitively something that we must discuss in our status call today.

I've learned in the past week that a release review for the new installer code
is mandatory. Such a release review needs a lot of preparation, a community
and more code cleanup (e.g. copyright headers, about.html's, ... are still
missing) - and it needs time (the slides/documents must be ready and
available one week before the review is held, the voting takes another week
after the review).
The packages itself doesn't need such a review (AFAIK - please correct me!) as
they are taken from projects/update sites that already have done their
release review. But I have to check this first.

So I suggest to use the packages as input for the Europa download page, and
integrate the installer at a later date. Maybe we can create another updated
release in July that contains packages with installer. Would this be a
solution that WE ALL can live with? Dan, Andrey, what's your opinion? I know
that you made lots of progress in the installer area during the last weeks,
but is it really ready for the Eclipse download page?

Thoughts, comments?

Markus

Back to the top