Re: [epf-dev] XP process

Hi Bruce,

thank you for your response. Yes, I agree that this part should be spitted to smaller tasks.

And I have general question regarding to SPEM 2.0 Activity. If I understand SPEM 2.0 specification correctly, Delivery Process must contain Activities, and Activities contains Tasks Uses, other Activities etc. But in some examples I saw only Tasks Uses at top level in diagrams, while in some examples there were only activities used at top level. The problem with this XP process is that there is no easy way to combine some related Task Uses to Activity that those Activities really would make sense, because XP is very lightweight process, it has very low amount of Task and Tasks Uses are related with each other a lot. So then most Activities should contain only one Task Use. Or there should be single or two/three general Activities in Delivery Process. EPF Composer allows to build delivery process containing only Task Uses (not nested under Activities), so I'm a bit confused what actually defines SPEM 2.0.

Thanks,
Saulius

Bruce Macisaac wrote:

Hi Saulius,

I'm interested in XP processes - so I reviewed the process you created.
At first view, it looks like you correctly represent what is happening in XP, but I think it could be presented more clearly.

Specifically, there are the tasks that developers sign up for, and then there are the subtasks that they perform to complete a development task. There is a checkbox for "planned item" which we can use in a WBS to indicate a task that is planned and signed up for, vs. lower level tasks that are "doing the work". I suggest leveraging this, and nesting tasks under a planned activity called "Develop story" or similar.

Take a look at the OpenUP delivery process's activity "Develop solution increment" - you could create something similar for the XP process.

Bruce MacIsaac
Manager – RMC Content
_bmacisaa@xxxxxx.com_ <mailto:bmacisaa@xxxxxxxxxx>
phone: (408)250-3037 (cell)
<http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/rsdc/>

*Saulius Grigaitis <saulius.grigaitis@xxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/13/2009 12:21 PM
Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

	Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
	[epf-dev] XP process

Hello,

Is anybody interested in XP process? There is really a lot of work done on
XP Method Content (http://epf.eclipse.org/wikis/xp/),
but seems people are not interested in Processes part.
I'm currently working on academical project "XP Process Model". I'm
working mainly on Processes
part of this XP process model. So I'm looking for XP people to get some
feedback on this process model. Currently I'm looking for feedback on
initial
version of XP workflow diagrams:
http://xp.rubyonrails.lt/xp/deliveryprocesses/xp_F0F4CBB8.html?nodeId=e\
cfdc854
<http://xp.rubyonrails.lt/xp/deliveryprocesses/xp_F0F4CBB8.html?nodeId=ecfdc854>
http://xp.rubyonrails.lt/xp/deliveryprocesses/Release_D9160738.html?pro\
c=__UotgTm-Ed60aszglc-35Q&path=__UotgTm-Ed60aszglc-35Q,_xB4tUDvyEd674OST\
QR24ig
<http://xp.rubyonrails.lt/xp/deliveryprocesses/Release_D9160738.html?proc=__UotgTm-Ed60aszglc-35Q&path=__UotgTm-Ed60aszglc-35Q,_xB4tUDvyEd674OSTQR24ig>
http://xp.rubyonrails.lt/xp/deliveryprocesses/Iteration_FB458D89.html?p\
roc=__UotgTm-Ed60aszglc-35Q&path=__UotgTm-Ed60aszglc-35Q,_xB4tUDvyEd674O\
STQR24ig,__MTkoTvyEd674OSTQR24ig
<http://xp.rubyonrails.lt/xp/deliveryprocesses/Iteration_FB458D89.html?proc=__UotgTm-Ed60aszglc-35Q&path=__UotgTm-Ed60aszglc-35Q,_xB4tUDvyEd674OSTQR24ig,__MTkoTvyEd674OSTQR24ig>.

Full model is here http://xp.rubyonrails.lt/index.htm (slightly
different than