[epf-dev] EPF Practice Library Versioning

Hello,

Here are the recommendations and issues identified in the 4/7/08 meeting on versioning the content in the EPF Practice Library. I suggest that these be reviewed and discussed on in our EPF Content meeting this Wednesday, and that we have another meeting about versioning to resolve outstanding issues.

Attendees:
Jim Ruehlin
David Hadley

Recommendations:
Processes that are published out of the practice library should have the same version as the practice library. Also, the version of the practice library should match the major release version number of EPF Composer. For example, OpenUP 1.5 would be the published OpenUP process from EPF Practice Library version 1.5. The practice library would be compatible with EPF Composer version 1.5.
Justification: This should make it easier for contributors to understand compatibilities between content and tooling.

There should be only one practice library that holds all EPF content. This means that all processes published from the practice library would be  baselined with the same version number. For example, Scrum 1.5 and OpenUP 1.5 would both be published from EPF Practice Library version 1.5.
Justification: This keeps version numbers consistent and easy to maintain.
Drawbacks:  It would be possible for a published process to have its version number bumped without any content changes. For instance, assume nothing changes in any Scrum related practice between EPF Practice Library 1.5 and 2.0. The published Scrum 2.0 would be the same as Scrum 1.5, although 2.0 would be compatible with the most recent tooling.

All method elements (plug-ins, guidelines, tasks, etc) are bumped to the new version number for a library. This version information is recorded in the Version field of the method element.

Open Issues
How should translated libraries be versioned? We left this open as there was no one on the call who had participated in translation activities.

When should the version of the library be incremented? After the committers switch to the pre-release version of the tool? Or when the library is ready for production?

Jim Ruehlin
RUP Content Developer
EPF Committer
Rational Software