Re: [epf-dev] Allowing late changes in published configurations

I Nate,

Thanks for answering in such a short notice...

Here's a pretty simple example: A senior software process modeler designs the overall model of a UP-based configuration to be used in her company. As she's not an expert in designing software, she wants to mark the Elaboration Phase as an element that can be late-modeled (finished) by other more skillfull process participants. However, she has some restrictions, i.e., she wants to let know other process participants which and how properties of the Elaboration Phase can be changed (e.g. the "Refine System Scope and Requirements" activity behavior design can be finished at the instance/project level, but not to be reflected at the configuration/model level).

Resuming, she wants to publish the UP-based configuration, and mark which and how elements are to be flexible. Thus, the published configuration must allow these restricted changes to be made by other process participants. In the example above, they must be able to complete the definition/modeling of the aforementioned activity behavior.

Mainly, we must provide a way to mark those configuration elements as flexible (visually/through a properties' form). Then, we must create a publishing plugin to enable those restricted changes in the published configuration.

In one sentence: "I want to tell my software team which, where and how can they change my configuration.".

Does that make any sense to you?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo Martinho.