RE: [epf-dev] No coding in Inception

Hi Maciel,

Thanks for you input. One thought I had about your situation is that it
sounds like you may either be done with Inception without acknowledging
it, or significantly increasing the risk that your project will require
a large amount of re-work. The milestone of Inception is to get to a
point where you can make a go/no-go decision on the project. If you’ve
done enough scoping where you can start building the system with high
confidence that it’s needed and will be completed, then you’ve finished
Inception (assuming you have Stakeholder agreement). Scope will continue
to be refined in future iterations as requirements get stabilized and
stakeholders provide feedback. So it may be that your implementation is
actually occurring in Elaboration.

If your team really doesn’t understand the scope of the project and is
building the system anyway, then you have a high risk of doing something
wrong, or throwing away part of your system. That may be an acceptable
risk for your project depending on how rapidly you need to deliver the
system. But the purpose of Inception in OpenUP/Basic is to reduce this
kind of risk. So it may not be appropriate for OpenUP/Basic to directly
support the scenario you described. However, you can always modify the
phase in OpenUP/Basic (using EPF Composer) and adapt it to your
particular needs.

Generally, the reason for writing and testing code during Inception
would be to reduce some technical risk in the project so that a go/no-go
decision can be made. This might include prototyping a novel
architecture, assuring that some performance metrics can be achieved, or
testing the viability of a new technology to solve a particular need.

- Jim

Jim Ruehlin, IBM Rational

RUP Content Developer

Eclipse Process Framework (EPF) Committer www.eclipse.org/epf