[epf-dev] OpenUP/Basic Feedback

Hello,

            I work for a software development company here in Mexico; we are implementing OpenUP/Basic as our software development process adding some practices like the preparation for operations and support. I will try to answer your questions.

How successful were you in deploying OpenUP?

We are starting to deploy OpenUP (some of us know RUP and SDP based on RUP) and we have found the OpenUP/Basic a very useful because it is just what we need to start.

What specific problems did you encounter (e.g. lack of training, couldn't understand a particular guideline, etc)?

Some persons on our organization don’t have any previous experience on formal Software Development Practices like RUP, the use of UML or an iterative development process, and they are learning the benefits of the model and how it will help on the organization of our Development Process.

What parts of the process were easy to deploy?

We are in the ‘evangelization’ phase, we don’t know exactly what parts are easy or harder but we feel very comfortable with the Analysis and Design disciplines as well as the Project Management process.

Are you using it as-is or are you modifying it?

We are trying to use it as-is but we are customizing the Work Products to better fit our current development artifacts. We are evaluation some minor changes on the texts and explanations as well as some ‘translation’ of the working products to Spanish.

If you're using EPF Composer, to what extent are you modifying OpenUP (e.g. minor text changes, replacing templates, changing entire disciplines, etc)?

We just started with the EPF Composer; we will modify the templates and add some disciplines.

What are the characteristics of your project (head count, timeframe, industry, greenfield or maintenance, successful delivery, etc)?

We develop are a small company mainly involved on tailored software development.

I hope this can help you.

Regards,

Edd.

Edgar Zavala
Solutions Architect
edgar.zavala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: 52+81 81036777

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features."

Back to the top