[epf-dev] Discipline Text style

hiho,

We should discuss the appropriate structure of the text for the Brief Descriptions of the disciplines.

In response to bug 168723 I was looking to add a Brief Description to the Implementation discipline and I wasn’t too psyched with the styles that we are using.  Some of the discipline descriptions start with “This discipline defines the minimal tasks required to…” (requirements, test).  Some start with “This discipline explains how to…” (A&D, CM).  At this point the published process does not have a Brief Description for PM or Implementation.

At a metamodel level Tasks can be in multiple disciplines, but our OpenUP convention has had each Task is in one discipline.  Each Guidance element can be assigned to multiple disciplines.  Reference Workflows can be assigned to multiple disciplines.  We tend to mentally organize roles in line with disciplines, but that is not strictly the case.

So what does a discipline do?  Does it define tasks?  Does it explain how to do something?  Or – since it is mostly about methodology rather than process – does it provide techniques?

Back to the top