[epf-dev] Minutes from Process Content Status Call

hiho,

We had a call today to discuss the OpenUP process content and other process content initiatives under EPF.  In theory we have status calls every Wednesday at 8am pacific time.  I didn’t do a great job of promoting this particular call, so the attendees were just Ricardo Balduino, Per Kroll, Brian Lyons, Jim Ruehlin, and Chris Sibbald.

We discussed some status of what had been done in the last week including the North American face-to-face and the review work underway by Jim Ruehlin.  We discussed a range of issues on what it will take to get OpenUP/Basic to version 1.0.

Since completeness, correctness, consistency, and balance are key issues, we discussed following up on the findings of Jim Ruehlin’s package-by-package review of the process.  Some calls were scheduled to go over the requirements and project management disciplines that he has already reviewed.  A call to strategize on how to attack the test discipline was planned.  And Jim will continue through the rest of the process.

There are remaining bugs to Close that were originally planned for version 0.9.  Package owners will work with Jim Ruehlin as a reviewer to close bugs of “author content” where content was authored and delivered with 0.9.  Once all bugs that have been marked as “Verified | Later” are examined we will have a call to figure out if those items are really needed in the 1.0 version of OpenUP/Basic (in which case they will be re-opened) or if they should really be discarded from the process (in which case they can be moved to “Verified | WontFix”).

Another thing we would want before considering the process at a 1.0 version would be feedback from organizations using the process.  Each of the committers is looking for organizations to work with on the application of the process.  In addition there was an interest in providing assistance to any organization that is adopting the process if the organization would allow some scrubbed artifacts to be donated to be used as examples in the OpenUP process.

We talked about examples and floated the idea of having the committers and contributors put together a cohesive end-to-end set of example artifacts.  This was characterized as “our Pet Store” (in reference to the Java Pet Store Reference Application).  The idea of having a consistent example across the process and available for use in training, demos, etc. was intriguing.   After some discussion it was decided that this would be a significant undertaking and real-life examples – though perhaps not resulting in a complete end-to-end example – were much more important.  So we decided to work in earnest to get examples from real projects applying the process.

As part of discussing how much interest there has already been in the process, we asked Ricardo Balduino to check into how much it had been downloaded.  The OpenUP published library that was created on October 2 has been downloaded 1435 times.

We discussed the scope of the weekly Wednesday teleconference meeting.  We decided that it would cover OpenUP primarily, but that it would also serve as a status update call for other process content initiatives such as DSDM, Scrum, XP, MDD, etc.  It is expected that those non OpenUP/Basic areas would have separate calls for strategizing and collaboration amongst the participants.

We will have another call next Wednesday at 9am pacific time.  We expect to skip the call on 11/22 while many Americans take time off just before the Thanksgiving holiday.  We will have the status call on 11/29 and thereafter.  I’ll plan to send out reminders a couple days before, but to plan ahead, here is the default logistics we will use:

Toll-free dial-in: 1-877-421-0003

Toll dial-in: 1-770-615-1374

<For IBMers> Tie-line dial-in: 421-0003

Participant passcode: 667201

Much thanks to Chris Sibbald for taking notes during the meeting that makes this message easier to write.

Back to the top