Re: [epf-dev] version backward compatibility

Hello Asterion.
These plug-ins can only be used with an RMC license.  Once the next version of RMC is available there will be a solution for RMC customers.

Thanks and best regards,
Peter Haumer.

PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
Rational Method Composer | Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software | IBM Software Group
Tel.: +1 408 863-8716

"Asterion Daedalus" <piercingdragoneyes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/28/2006 18:34

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[epf-dev] version backward compatibility

Poking around the IBM site I came across useful plug-ins built under
Rational Method Composer.

Given my day job is in defence, I was most interested in the COTS, System
Engineering and the DoDAF plug-ins.  Of course, they didn't import into
epf-composer because of version discrepencies.

I was a little bemused about this because I would have thought that
versioning would have been handled in some fashion other than simply
baulking.  I understand that the standards and the schemas are in flux but
given the stated goal of publishing plug-ins for re-use it seemed a
necessary evil to manage.

Presumably libraries of plug-ins will evolve.  I am currently building bits
an bobs for 12207, swebok, milstd-498, DO-178B, AADL, yadda.  (there is a
world outside of RUP).  The DoDAF one would slot right into the process
framework I am trying to develop at work - though I would need to tailor it
away from RUP - though I guess I'll have to draft one from scratch, which
erks ;)

I would love to contribute some of my dabblings to a central library as I
feel humbled by all of the good work at IBM/Eclipse.  Is there going to be
some sort of global process asset library for people to exchange method and
process snippets?

Asterion