[epf-dev] version backward compatibility

Poking around the IBM site I came across useful plug-ins built under Rational Method Composer.

Given my day job is in defence, I was most interested in the COTS, System Engineering and the DoDAF plug-ins. Of course, they didn't import into epf-composer because of version discrepencies.

I was a little bemused about this because I would have thought that versioning would have been handled in some fashion other than simply baulking. I understand that the standards and the schemas are in flux but given the stated goal of publishing plug-ins for re-use it seemed a necessary evil to manage.

Presumably libraries of plug-ins will evolve. I am currently building bits an bobs for 12207, swebok, milstd-498, DO-178B, AADL, yadda. (there is a world outside of RUP). The DoDAF one would slot right into the process framework I am trying to develop at work - though I would need to tailor it away from RUP - though I guess I'll have to draft one from scratch, which erks ;)

I would love to contribute some of my dabblings to a central library as I feel humbled by all of the good work at IBM/Eclipse. Is there going to be some sort of global process asset library for people to exchange method and process snippets?

Asterion

Back to the top