[epf-dev] IMPORTANT: Check OpenUP Structure After Changing Method Elements

Hello,

One thing I should have notified you about after refactoring OpenUP last week is that it is now necessary to verify the integrity of the architecture after making structural changes to the process. It’s important to assure that the Intent, Solution, and Management packages don’t have any dependencies on each other. Changes were checked in during the last 24 hours that violate this constraint. I’m going to try and fix it this afternoon.

Here’s the section from the Architecture Notebook that describes how to do this (I just added it). The Notebook can be found in the OpenUP Method Authoring Framework in CVS.

Check Architecture Integrity After Changing the Process Structure

All structural changes made to the process must be validated to assure the changes don't violate the architectural integrity of the process. These kinds of changes include applying variability to elements, adding or moving elements, or associating elements to one another such as primary/secondary roles, input/output artifacts, etc.

Verify the integrity of the architecture by bringing up the OpenUP configuration and turning off one of the three sub-processes (Intent, Solution, or Management). There should be no errors in any other method element package. There should also be no errors in the CP packages for the other two sub-processes. Any errors must be corrected before the content can be checked in. Once the errors have been fixed, turn the package back on and repeat the inspection on each of the other two packages.

Jim Ruehlin, IBM Rational

RUP Content Developer

Eclipse Process Framework (EPF) Committer

email:   jruehlin@xxxxxxxxxx

phone:  760.505.3232

fax:      949.369.0720

Back to the top