Re: [epf-dev] Alternate SPEM 2.0 submission

I was asked to comment on this by other EPF committers who seem to be confused about the fact there is a second proposal.

The specification the Eclipse Process Framework is built on is available at http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?ad/06-06-02

The Adaptive/Fujitsu/ESI/IBM/Softeam et al spec is technically sound and proven by implementing most of the concepts in EPF Composer. As EPF and SPEM evolve, our submission team will continue to help drive convergence of open source and open standards.

Eclipse (and the EPF project)  has a community driven process in which only people who do real work on real code can make a difference. We encourage the SPEM team led by Osellus  to directly influence EPF the way in which all Eclipse projects are influenced - by adding committers to the project.

Thanks and best regards,
Peter Haumer.

PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
Rational Method Composer | Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software | IBM Software Group
Tel.: +1 408 863-8716

"Kamal Ahluwalia" <kamal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/09/2006 17:19

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[epf-dev] Alternate SPEM 2.0 submission

Hi EPF Content Committers

I wanted to take this opportunity to update you on SPEM 2.0 progress at the OMG.

As I had indicated in an earlier post to this newsgroup (http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/epf-dev/msg00312.html), Osellus, with support from Sun Microsystems and Microsoft had asked for a single meeting cycle extension (about 3 months) at the last OMG Technical Committee Meeting in St. Louis. The OMG unanimously approved this extension to provide an opportunity for the presentation of an alternative SPEM 2.0 submission. Borland who was a co-submitter of IBM-led submission also decided to join us as a co-submitter of this alternate Borland/Osellus/Microsoft/Sun submission.  This proposal uses some concepts of the previous proposal co-submitted by Adaptive, Borland, ESI, Fujitsu, IBM, Osellus and Softeam.

A copy of this alternate submission is attached. It has also been uploaded to the OMG server, http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?ad/06-06-01.

We are seeking the feedback of software process experts and end users on this submission. We would like to invite EPF content committers, and in particular the OpenUp committers, to provide your feedback on this meta-model.  We are more than open to consider your suggestions and recommendations to make this proposal more applicable and meaningful.   We are prepared to commit the necessary resources to take a representative sample of the processes and methodologies of your choosing to validate our proposed SPEM 2.0 meta-model.  To the extent that you may be open to this idea, we would like to incorporate parts of your methodologies as examples in the next draft of the proposal.

Our goal in this submission is to avoid unnecessary complexity.  The submission maintains a balance between process content and process workflow, is backwards compatible with SPEM 1.1, is completely methodology agnostic, and addresses the increasingly strategic differentiator of process enactment. Our submission is not restricted by the capabilities of any existing commercially available tool in the market.  However, Osellus is fully committed to offer the required toolware to model and enact SPEM 2.0, once the specification is ratified, irrespective of the form it takes.

Thanks,
Kamal.

kamal@xxxxxxxxxxx
 [attachment "SPEM 2.pdf" deleted by Peter Haumer/Cupertino/IBM] _______________________________________________