[epf-dev] Process Components case study

Hello and again sorry for the delay on producing the promised case study on modeling process components in EPF Composer.

I created now a small case study plug-in that models Kirti's Define Scope process component in EPF Composer.  You can review it by installing the method plug-in or just the published web site. I faked the black box representation of the component using a UML 2.0 modeling tool to present the component diagram and the ports, captured the images and pasted them into the description page of a capability pattern that represents Define Scope.

Because the example Kirti sent was a RUP example, I modeled this as a method plug-in to RUP701 without realizing that this could cause trouble with Eclipse.  I therefore uploaded the results to our Yahoo Group website where you can retrieve it without violating Eclipse's rules on copyrighted material.  My apologies for that.  The next examples I will create by just using BUP content, but I did not want to waste this effort and would like to get your detailed feedback first before I through it away.  The published site also contains a whitepaper on components from Kirti as well as the part of the SPEM 2.0 specification that defines Process Components.  Both sources want to achieve similar things, but I have chosen the SPEM representation for this example.  You should read these two papers first before doing your review.

I had to split the published site in two parts as Yahoo limits the file size to 5MB.  But part 1 is a self-extracting installer.  If you do not have access to our Yahoo Group send me an email and I will send you the files via email.

Here is my summary and walkthrough of the case study (the first page of the published site):

Thanks and best regards,
Peter Haumer.

PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
Rational Method Composer | Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software | IBM Software Group
Tel.: +1 408 863-8716

"VAIDYA Kirti" <KVAIDYA@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/24/2006 13:44

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List" <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [epf-dev] Today's EPF tool and meta-model meeting:        Recordingavailable

Peter and the Team,

Thank you all for attending the Work Component demo on Friday.

As discussed, I have attached a sample component ("Work component: Define Scope") and the graphic of RUP Framework with Work Components.
  • image002.gif                                        : RUP Framework defined using Work Components
  • _WorkComponent_Define Scope.html    : Work Component Specification
  • _WorkComponent_Define Scope.gif       : Work Component Ganttlet as an image
  • _WorkComponent_Define Scope.mpt     : Work Component Ganttlet as a MS Project Gantt Chart template
  • workComponents.mht                           : A white paper on work components that has other graphics (incl. the detailed one for Work Component: Build Architectural Prototype)
Pl. propose the next steps on incorporating this into EPF Composer as discussed.

Thanks,
Kirti