Re: [epf-dev] Some comments on our "Focus" aka Architecture practices....

Agreed on both points. Thanks Scott.

Although I still think that something like "Apply patterns gently" is too narrow in terms of the scope of reusable assets and, I would say, not particularly clear as to what "gentle application" entails :)

Regards,

Pete

================================
Peter Eeles, MBCS CITP
Executive IT Architect,  Technical Staff Member
Rational Brand Architect for UK, Ireland, South Africa
Email: peter.eeles@xxxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +44 (0)7796 331061
Mobex: 264305
=================================

The IBM Rational Edge Live! By Developers for Developers.
For more information on this and other events such as the Rational User Group visit:
www.ibm.com/uk/news/events/softwaretechnicalbriefings/

"Scott W. Ambler" <swa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

26/05/2006 00:06

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List" <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject

On Thu, May 25, 2006 2:51 pm, Peter Eeles said:
> Since patterns are only one type of reusable assets, why not "Avoid
> reinventing the wheel" rather than "leverage patterns"?

In Agile Modeling v1 we had the practice "Reuse Existing Assets".  It's
basically more positive than avoid reinventing the wheel.

We also have the practice "Apply Patterns Gently" because the agile
approach is to ease into a pattern.  This practice was originally based on
Josh Kerievsky's work which he later evolved into his Refactoring to
Patterns book.

> I think "Perspective" is overloaded (see book by Nick Rozanski and Eoin
> Woods). Why not "Focus on key elements"
>
> Since both "component" and "service" are also overloaded, how about
> something like "architect with chunks", given the vernacular of some of
> the other items :)

Chunks might not be the right word, but component and service definitely
are not it seeing as they limit the concept to a single technological
approach.

- Scott
http://www.ambysoft.com/scottAmbler.html

Refactoring Databases (