[epf-dev] Tooling: Import/Export wizard white list

EPF Composer currently uses a subclass of the standard Import/Export wizards that adds a white list of allowed Import/Export extensions. (TNGExportWizard.java and TNGImportWizard.java)

This hampers the Eclipse "Invitation Rule: Whenever possible let others contribute to your contributions" In order to export data from the library I have to get a change made to the base product. I've run across this already, and some one else asked me about writing a plugin to export the method contents to tabular data. Not to mention the recent additions of MS-Project export and XML import/export.

Here are the alternatives that I see (in order of my personal preference):
  1. Eliminate the filtering completely
  2. Make it a section in preferences so a user could modify it
  3. Make it a blacklist

Number one might be to aggressive, as the additional import/export options that would become visible maybe confusing to a novice.

Something else that could be done, but would take considerable more effort is to do #1, but make use of the Capabilities extension points in Eclipse to gradually reveal more advanced functions. I'm not sure if this is feasible because it might require the plugins that contribute the import/export options that we want to hide to implement the extension point.

Anybody else have other thoughts on this topic?

Brian Schlosser - bschloss@xxxxxxxxxx - 512-838-0521

Back to the top