[emf-dev] Re: Should there be an EMFT Aggregate Update Site? (was Re: Texo build on modeling download pages)

Hi All,
Yes I agree that we have Helios so that's fine with me (so no EMFT update site needed for me). Although if someone is willing to provide the time/funds to create central modeling update sites then I am willing to adhere to any process needed for that.

The same question can be asked for the main EMF combined update site to which several of the EMF projects published builds. Should we keep those as a central update site for all EMF projects?

This seems like a pmc topic, right?

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - mtaal@xxxxxxxxx
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org

Nick Boldt wrote:
You cannot merge your updates into the larger EMFT update using the simple unpack-a-zip method. **DO NOT** point your promote script at an existing update site or it will destroy it.

If you want an aggregate EMFT site, I suggest you look at using the Buckminster Aggregator [1], [2] to collect a number of sites into a single directory and regenerate the required metadata at the same time.

[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.dash/athena/org.eclipse.dash.commonbuilder/org.eclipse.dash.common.releng/tools/scripts/aggregateRepos.xml?root=Technology_Project&view=log [2] http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.dash/athena/org.eclipse.dash.commonbuilder/org.eclipse.dash.common.releng/tools/scripts/aggregateRepos.m2eclipse.properties?root=Technology_Project&view=markup

Frankly, though, I think each project should maintain its own site to avoid collisions and coordination problems. For an aggregate update site containing all of EMFT, there's Helios. Does EMFT really need its own? If so, this needs all the projects to agree to a whole new mechanism, workflow and schedule of aggregation. It's easy enough to set up the script to run via a crontab to aggregate the projects' sites into a single site (or 3: interim, milestones, releases). But you need to have someone "own" the process and make sure that if it fails it gets re-run, or polices the projects who contribute to it to ensure there are no missing deps in the aggregator script.

You can also get fancy w/ the aggregator and move features into categories, or add associate sites [3]. Here's an example of that:

[3] http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.dash/athena/org.eclipse.dash.commonbuilder/org.eclipse.dash.common.releng/tools/scripts/aggregateRepos.m2eclipse.properties?root=Technology_Project&view=markup

Recommend opening a bug and cc:'ing all the project leads so that everyone's aware of this new coordination plan.