[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [emf-dev] Please save me from the flags
- From: Kenn Hussey <kenn.hussey@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:29:46 -0400
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=IG8YanJpr+6ZLx2a/WLTJl5jqQcHMMWdt506irrvZls=; b=PIjlqRJ6RnYnzruGclIR0mTHEzU5v25rEZJTGWvs1e1P0MHndDvZHI52vzlGjt2GQD /G2Pcor+Iqk2BDGs2XYYOjlOyCAGa+RcM5AMPeqm7644mwXp37v2NED4PBl+BP7zGwCp aWf8ZqZLzMfV7ERBA5PAj93jVOTzhoJXQEZ18=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=Du24D6aTo3kkzLkb2USvH5UhAPV1a//6scYJ/MZmiL6FcVTfPneGP2tlsOcf0krsZF KhsYEXRPuntc1cWyXkE6nSdilWs3JbnPvgeHP89bbDzsV56BjR9/9eRHJvjitobkLXlu 2fs9xG5eJwGff7keI83l6KYFbAy+kIOBbu2pQ=
Yes, the list of target milestones in MDT does indeed still have individual version numbers in it (in addition to the milestones and coordinated release names), so my situation is a little different. The flags were really meant for the purposes of the project plan (only), so I'm not so bothered about the fact that they're harder to edit and query (at least for MDT).
I see how it would be hard to determine in which stream a bug is fixed without the flags, though, now that the list of target milestones for EMF has been reduced. JIRA avoids this problem by allowing multiple versions to be tagged against a bug so that you could, for example, set both 'Helios' and 'M2' as the target milestone. I wonder if Bugzilla could be configured similarly...
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Eike Stepper <stepper@xxxxxxxxxx>
Kenn Hussey schrieb:
Note that the flags must be explicitly enabled/disabled on a
project by project basis (in Bugzilla) and are by no means mandatory.
I did not say that they're mandatory. But, as you say below, they're
the only means to indicate in which development stream the bug is
supposed to be resolved.
I don't see how the values of the 'Target Milestone' field have
changed with the advent of the flags...
Formerly we had versions in that list, together with milestones. I
understand that this list grew all to quickly due to the requirements
of so many projects. I didn't say that I want this list back.
the flags are intended to indicate in which release a bug is to
be resolved whereas the target milestone is (still) an indication of
_when_ in that release the bug will be resolved, i.e., by which
Isn't that what I said I use it for? What do you think about my general
complaints about falgs usability?
The values of the flags have nothing to do with the ability (or
lack thereof) to target a bug for a point in time that is between two
Not the flags, but the limited and unchangeable set of values in the
target milestone list. Maybe your project has other values there?
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Eike Stepper
I'm not sure if you're the right one to ask about Bugzilla fields. I
cc'ed Denis, too.
For quite some time now I'm rather annoyed by the "release train" flags
like galileo+ or helios+. Well, the real problem is that with the advent
of these flags the *target milestone* list values have changed in a way
that they're mostly meaningful only in combination with these flags.
Flags in general seem to have a lot of disadvantages:
1) They're comparingly hard to query (require a boolean chart via web
UI, no support yet in Mylyn)
2) They're not displayable in query results (how do I distinguish the
bugs for HEAD and maintenance?)
3) They're not changeable via mass update (together with poor bugzilla
performance this can delay dinner by hours)
4) They are not mutually exclusive (ok, easy to cope with)
In addition I don't have the chance to enter target milestones that are
*between* the release train milestones, like 2.0.x, or even SR1/RC2.
I think what I really would like to have is the following:
- A dropdown list with the release train names for assigning the
bugzilla to a particular development stream while triaging
- A text field where I can freely enter a concrete target build for the
Since we usually have so many components (which are effectivley separate
projects with their own process) sharing the same dropdown choices I
really don't see that we find a common list of target builds (why are
they constrained to milestones??) that satisfies all needs. Please give
me a free text field for this ;-)
I'd be glad to copy this request into a bugzilla if you think this is
BTW. if you're interested in our effort to make our bugzilla process
more formal and transparent, please refer to
emf-dev mailing list
emf-dev mailing list