Re: [emf-dev] EMF 2.3.3 GA?

I disagree. It just shows a maintenance branch that no one really cares about, and an untended bit of releng work on my part that should have been done this summer.

--

As to your off-topic request, wanting to do XSD 2.5 builds independent of EMF 2.5 is one thing. Supporting maintenance branches from 2 years ago is another kettle of funky fish, and I'd be VERY happy if the official Modeling Project policy on maintenance aligned with what the Eclipse Platform does: you get from June to February for maintenance; after that, maintenance is closed so that the focus can be on new development in the HEAD branch.

If you have a compelling customer need for why XSD has to be built independent of EMF -- despite its pedigree of being a cross-project build since its 1.x days, when the EMF project was in Tools and the XSD project was in Technology -- please share it.

Then, since you appear to be bubbling over with spare time, please begin the work required to split the XSD tests & examples from the EMF ones so that there are no criss-crossing dependencies between the projects. XSD can depend on EMF, or EMF on XSD, but for separate builds they cannot both depend on each other. I'm not |33+ enough, or free-time-equipped enough, to be able to do that work; nor do I see a compelling technical or consumer reason for it. (Eclipse policies are meant to empower customers, developers, and Member companies, not to introduce extra administrivia for its own sake.)

When that's done, let me know and I'll re-evaluate the proposal to split EMF and XSD into two builds.

'Till then,

Nick

Kenn Hussey wrote:
This is case in point for the ability to do XSD builds/releases independently of EMF.

Kenn Hussey
Program Manager, Modeling and Design Solutions

Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. | www.embarcadero.com 82 Peter Street, Second Floor | Toronto, ON M5V 2G5
Kenn.Hussey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx