[emf-dev] Handling Referential Integrity

Hi

I am a new user of EMF, and am looking for information concerning handling referential integrity in EMF (specifically, in the editor that EMF generates for a model).

In April of this year, there was a posting to [news.eclipse.tools.emf] by Sugato Bagchi on this subject.

Ed Merks replied to Sugato with:

> The model knows nothing about delete; it's not a model concept.  In the editor,
> when you do delete, it just removes the object from its container making it
> unreachable.  It would be very nice for the framework to handle
> cleanup-all-references on delete automatically, wouldn't it?  Feel free to open
> a bugzilla feature request and we'll look into it (but it will take us quite
> some time probably).

In the application I am building with EMF, this lack of referential integrity is a problem. At present, if you delete an object in the generated editor, references to it remain intact. However if you then save and reload the model, the references disappear. I don't think that save and reload should cause this kind of change to the state of the model. What I need is for the references to be cleaned up at the time of the delete.

I have looked in the EMF bug/desired feature list, but this does not seem to registered as either a bug or a feature request. But maybe it is there, and I just did not look in the right place! What I need to know is:

1. Has this been registered as an issue, and are there any plans to fix it?

2. If not, where can I get an example of the code I would need to write to handle referential integrity myself?

With thanks
Ashley

Ashley McNeile
Metamaxim Ltd.