Re: [egit-dev] Minimum supported platform version?

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 3:00 PM Michael Keppler <Michael.Keppler@xxxxxx> wrote:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/FAQ#What_versions_of_Eclipse_does_EGit_target.3F

But that seems outdated to me. egit.parent\pom.xml defines
<target-platform>egit-4.6</target-platform>, so I would think that is
what we really guarantee.

since a long time we guarantee that the latest EGit version will work with the last two Eclipse releases.
Not sure what this means today with the new 3-monthly release cycle of the release train.
We tried to avoid changes breaking older platform versions but don't guarantee that. This way we
have a way forward to evolve to more modern APIs which aren't available in older releases.
This is documented in the FAQs[1].

I just tested the brand new 5.1.1, which will be shipped with today's simultaneous release Eclipse 4.9 (2018-09)
on old Eclipse platform versions which can be found here [2].

I couldn't run Eclipse 4.4 on Mac OS 10.13.6 and Java 8. It just crashed so I couldn't try to install EGit 5.1.1.
This might be a Mac specific issue, maybe someone else can try on Linux and Windows.

It works fine on Eclipse 4.5 (Mars 2). You can't install the smart project import feature on 4.5 since this
requires at least Eclipse 4.6 (Neon).

Hence I updated the entry for 5.1.0 and 5.1.1 in [2] accordingly to 4.5+.

-Matthias

Back to the top