[egit-dev] Auto-discovery of EGit features when installing other features

Hi EGit developers,

one of our features at Eclipse Code Recommenders, namely Snipmatch,
makes use of EGit to provide a UI for sharing code snippets by way of a
Git repository -- this works great. But in order to work, Snipmatch
requires at least EGit 3.2. Appropriate versions of EGit are available
in the Kepler and Luna repositories, but not in the Juno repository [1].

In order to provide our Juno users with an easy install experience, it
would be great if they could just use our update site in the "Install
New Software" dialog (or use the Marketplace) and automatically have p2
install or upgrade EGit. This works for Kepler and Luna already, as
Eclipse by default searches all repositories known to "Install New
Software", but for Juno it just fails to find org.eclipse.egit 3.2+ bundles.

Hence my question: What is the preferred way to accomplish this? Add a
feature dependency from org.eclipse.recommenders.snipmatch.feature to
org.eclipse.egit.feature and add a

  <discovery url="http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates"/>

to our feature XML (if so, what @label should be used?). Or would you
make our update site a composite that also references one of the EGit
update sites (if so, which one?).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Andreas