Re: [egit-dev] Granularity of changes

Yep, I think a small paragraph of how to push changes would be good for the contributors guide. Mostly I agree with Christian to have smaller commits that still show the motiviation. I think refactorings while diving into the code is motivation enough for a commit and easy it review as you don't need to care about the changes introduced when you merge refactoring+bugfix.

Lay, Stefan wrote:
What's your opinion on that? I'd prefer pushing the steps as separate
commits but if the rest of the team thinks that the review overhead is
too much, that's ok with me.

Any comments on that one?

I agree that we should have more fine-granular commits. Each one should have clear scope.

However I have to admit that in the past we did not follow that principle very much in EGit. Most of us have not been working in this mode in the past. In JGit the situation is much better; mainly because Shawn had an eye on it. When we review, we should give the feedback to the author if a commit should be split up, at least if the author is a co-committer. But what should we do when contributors propose large chunks? In the past, some of them were unhappy when we told them to split up their commit, especially when they were new to git and not very familiar how to craft commits with git and gerrit.
We could add a section to the contributor guide explaining some basic scenarios.

Stefan

--
Benjamin Muskalla
Innoopract Informationssysteme GmbH